ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 14 July 2009

WORISIT?

For those that popped by for a look at How Green is my Valley; sorry if your eyes turned brown!The gas plant was apparently installed at the mill solely to provide lighting. Told you it was a dark, dank spot! The second flue was a vent for the gas condenser, not sure about the latter, it makes sense though, keeping any flammable gas away from the oven chimney. Not daft our Victorians, obviously knew a thing or two about explosions.

Today's post is all about bugs.They were taken yesterday, grand sunny morning with little wind forecast, it was pretty breezy as things turned out. Not a Dragon Fly to be found. Took the monopod, camera and the 50mm-200mm lens with a 25mm extension tube. This time the pictures are better, aperture f9 to f11 giving just a touch more depth of field. An old dog can learn new tricks or so these results would seem to prove.

The title is inspired firstly by my ignorance and secondly to make some of this blogs followers feel at home. Whether they actually speak like Sir Paul McCartney is hard to tell from their writing, most likely not. There's nothing less general than a generalisation. Treat this post as a quiz, not your common or garden quiz where the quiz master knows all the answers. Yours truly hasn't a clue what half these things are. I do know that they are beautiful and fascinating and it would make my expeditions several times more enjoyable if I could put a name to them.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA SPIDER........It's body is approximately 4mm-5mm long, just under 1/4". He/she is photographed in, presumably, it's natural habitat on a reed stem and about 3" above the water. There was no obvious way ashore short of swimming. Plus.... I love it's eyes. I apologise to any arak..aracknaf..(just knew that wouldn't be in spell checker). I apologise to those frightened of spiders, it's the first and last.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA BANDED DAMSEL FLY?..........Maybe? Possibly a female Common Blue.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA GREEN JOB.......This was drowning, popped it on the fence post for it's portrait. Put it back at the waterside, it wasn't there half an hour later so I assume either it was someone's breakfast or it had found a corner to hide in.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA NOT A CLUE

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

WATER BOATMAN?...If I'm correct, an upside down water boatman. Why swim upside down? No Dafter than backstroke for humans I suppose.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

BLUE TAILED DAMSELFLY

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

GATE KEEPER.........I think it's a little early for these also In the past when I've seen them they were on brambles. No brambles anywhere near here.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

VARIABLE DAMSELFLY..........I've been calling these Common Blue Damselflies. I have a strong suspicion that they are Variables.Good name that, covers most eventualities.

That's me! Completely bugged!

All help, knowledge, guesses, gratefully received. Happy pondering.

5 comments:

  1. Nice shots. I see what you mean about the spider's eyes. I know as much about bugs as I do photography-- in other words-- zilch. That's seems to be what I know about most things. (Beautiful colors your bug friends have)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good shots Adrian, and a non quiz too lol
    I'm no expert by any shot of the imagination, but after looking at a couple of books, here's my deductions.

    Second picture, I'm leaning towards an Emerald Damselfly, female.

    Caterpillar and moth no idea.

    Water boatman, or common backswimmer.

    I think the Butterfly is a female Meadow Brown; not so much orange as a Gatekeeper, and only one white spot on forewing.

    and last one, I think is a Variable.

    Now I've got a headache ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that Keith, I think Variable if only because the female Common Blue is a greeny colour, all the best Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The damsel is an Emerald. The moth is a Brown China Mark. The butterfly is a female Meadow Brown. Spider carrying its egg sac and suicidal caterpillar are those well known species 'haventaclues'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That many wee things crawling, flying, swimming. Thanks for your help CJ.

    ReplyDelete