ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 9 March 2010

HELLO PATERDALE (03/03/10)

 image

 image   We arrived in what, on first appraisal, is paradise. There are specimen trees on this old estate from all over the world. The lady in the estate office has kindly provided me with a map listing what is what, so there should be no trouble identifying what is what and what is something else………….. I don’t think!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA This is a Wellingtonia or Giant Redwood. Aptly named, it really is magnificent and completely dwarfs the truck. Just hope it doesn’t decide to fall over. Imagine being a lumberjack and having to deal with this, the trunk must be seven or eight feet in diameter.

We went for a stroll to see what is where, plenty of wild life but photographs were hard to come by. We came across a couple of male Roe Deer, off like a shot, gone before I could even raise the camera. At least I know they exist so a vast improvement on Otters. There are the usual Finches and Tits, also saw a little green bird about the size of a Gold Crest but even quicker, ten frames of twigs and then the bin lorry drove past which curtailed what was fast becoming a futile exercise anyway. The only other bird of note was a Buzzard circling way out of range but the lady in the local shop, (the source of all knowledge}, has pointed out where it can often be seen perched. So one never knows there may be a picture or two.

Just in front of the van Grisedale Beck is tumbling down towards Ullswater, we tumbled up it for a mile, there are these falls………………

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Will take some filters, tripod, and wellies and give these a good hour or so.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    A beast new to me a walking, man eating Log. Good job I was carrying a long lens.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA       We came across this Moss, sometimes I wish I was born in Darwin’s era, could have called it what I liked……Pine Moss…. I can’t identify it but will try and tempt the source of all knowledge to a walk in the woods. May even kill two birds with one stone!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          I’m not sure about these ferns either…….Three birds with one stone!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          Found this delightful Shetland Pony on the way home but it couldn’t be tempted to look up. I'll take an apple next time and get some close ups………….Nothing quite like a hairy stumpy legged pony for giving the ratings a lift.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAAgain I’m not sure……….Looks like a Yew………  Four birds with one stone. This is as near to damn it the view from the van. A grand spot.

Almost forgot….. Ullswater………….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    This weather is unbelievable. Long may it last.

    

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow - so many great photos in this post! I bet you were excited to reach a new spot and actually see some critters. I bet you think the otters were just a myth to lure unsuspecting tourists, right?

    I love the ferns and HOLY CRAP that's a huge tree beside the truck! I don't think I've ever seen a tree that big. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos from this area! Off I go... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paradise indeed Adrian.
    You'll have to try and get the source of knowledge to stroll through the woods with you; purely to get the names of what you see.
    And that is one big tree in the first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista bloody Otters.

    Keith, I will but will save the education for milder weather.
    Some tree it is and they have several of them.

    ReplyDelete