ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 8 September 2011

A LITTLE BIT OF SUNSHINE (08/09/11)

We have moved down the hill a few miles and are now in the Vale of York. I have driven through this patch of country a few times and there are some wondrous things to behold. We are stopping on a farm a mile south of Byland Abbey. A mile in the opposite direction is the village of Coxwold. Plenty to wander round snapping at, would be if the blasted showers would cease.

I got settled in and briefly managed to get an internet connection, it’s gone again but will come back I hope, if it doesn’t then this post and any others will have to wait till Monday. We then had a wander up the road to see the Abbey.

_9087186_87_88_89_90_tonemapped_edited-1  Byland Abbey.

_9087171_2_3_4_5_tonemapped_edited-1 The West entrance with what is left of it’s massive Rose Window. It’s said by some that the design of this was the inspiration for the superb window in York Minster. Could be, difficult to tell from what’s left here. It was obviously round so that’s a positive step.

_9087176_77_78_79_80_tonemapped_edited-1A view from a different angle. This edifice belongs to English Heritage and there is a lady waiting to relieve me of money should I venture any closer. Even though the weather isn’t conducive to good pictures, I weighed up the pros and cons and decided to pay and enter. The deciding factor was that the Abbey pub in front of which I’m standing was closed.

In we went the dogs and I. They don’t charge for dogs. Do their heathen little souls good a wander round an Abbey.

_9087166_67_68_69_70_tonemapped_edited-1    The view east and what remains of the South Transept.

_9087106_07_08_09_10_tonemapped_edited-1   The view west with the Rose Window. This was a massive Abbey even by local standards. This area is full of Abbeys and big ones. I should have purchased the guide book but assumed I would be able to read all about it on the internet.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA   A little bit of something in the North Transept.

_9087126_27_28_29_30_tonemapped_edited-1 There are extensive buildings adjacent to the main Abbey. I’ll go back when I can Identify them. This looks like the priors bowling green. Could be! Suspect they needed exercise in between the arduous business of praying and collecting tithes.

_9087161_2_3_4_5_tonemapped_edited-1  A very intricate tiled mosaic floor. This appears to be in a side chapel.

_9087141_2_3_4_5_tonemapped_edited-1I’ve lots more but I’ll leave the Abbey with a view through a peephole. No trip round ruins is complete without a framed shot and I’ll close this post with…………………………………………………….

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Sunshine or a Sunflower which is the next best thing.

Enjoy the weather.

15 comments:

  1. Lovely sights Adrian. You find the best in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive building and images. I was never made to forget by my walking friends that I missed one of their expeditions here earlier this year. It probably wouldn't have made any difference to my camera as usually the schedule is so tight that there is only time to view these sights from the surrounding walls or fences ! Helmsley, Rievaulx, possibly Byland ... the list of to do places seems to get longer !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great light on these Adrian, especially that first one. A pretty impressive abbey, even for a heathen like me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I may find them but it's what i do to them I find worrying.

    Jay, It is, knee deep in Abbeys they are round here. Photography is a solitary job. Though sometimes another pair of hands would be handy!

    Keith, down to HDR! I have a strange affinity with old ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely tour Adrian...a beautiful ruin and obviously a nice tourist attraction.
    Henry VIII had great foresite.

    I really like the second pic with the post box.

    Just googled the pub, looks like a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrew,Thanks. I cloned out a give way sign and almost the post box. I liked the splash of red.
    The pub is shut. It's just B&B now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adrian, these are gorgeous photos!
    Hope you've got some more in store?!
    I am a member of English Heritage and National Trust so i get free entry wherever i go...i know i have to pay a membership but it's for a good cause and it saves you a fortune if you enjoy visiting all these places...which i do i you most likely have guessed...
    is it rainy in your little corner of England...it has be dry here today...

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely and interesting ruins...
    We finally got rain here. makes me lazy... or so it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Adrian..Well I must say there are some fascinating old ruins there...and you have some great shots to prove it ...I just loved them!!

    It amazes me the fine intricate work that went into building these places, and they didn't have the conveniences and tools of today..a work of art the tile floors !!

    See I did a whole comment and no smart cracks! ; }

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Huge beautiful Abbey. Must have been spectacular in its day.
    Great captures, Adrian. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dee Bee, I will go back for some dawn shots. It is locked up till eleven o'clock but the gate is climbable. I have looked into membership but at £66/year I'd have to visit an awful lot of places. They open too late in the day and shut too early. Both do a good job but scatter signs everywhere.

    Norma, thanks. Rain just makes me wet.

    Grace, I like these places but the light was changing too fast for me this time.

    Laura, Thank you. It is difficult to imagine it in all it's glory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great HDR work Adrian.
    It must have been an impressive sight in its hey-day.....[;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Trevor, Haloing was the very devil with such dark sky. I'll have another go when the weather improves............next June the way things are looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and very interesting! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marinabel, you are welcome and thank you. Glad you popped round.

    ReplyDelete