ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Friday 14 October 2011

TROUBLE WITH A COW (14/10/11)

I could have titled this Thursday night and Friday morning. The sun came out yesterday afternoon. We had a grand walk before going out for tea.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      

This shrub is really confused there are both blossom and berries on it………….I’m sorry I don’t know what sort of it it is. Phil Gates described this phenomena here at CABINET OF CURIOSITIES.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA      These are Guelder Rose Fruits……………I hope! I found these whilst creeping up on a Woodpecker. Ten minutes creeping and I reappraised the Woodpecker, it was a Magpie. I need an optician.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     The view from the van. Blue sky, great.

This morning we were out before sunrise. I was going to set up and light Solomons Temple with flash. After stumbling around in the dark for half an hour I arrived and set the camera up. It was a waste of time, far too windy. It always comes as a surprise how little wind is required to ruin long exposures.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA   Solomons Tower………this was taken a couple of days ago. I lugged the gear inside but there isn’t much room, two dogs, a spiral staircase, a tripod and me just about fills it so I left the camera bag outside.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Buxton at night from inside the temple.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    Looking westish.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     Looking up at the base of the viewing platform. These three images were all taken at around two second exposure with a burst of flash………..not what I was hoping for but at least we all had an outing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADawn. This is as good as it got. I was up on the top of the Temple when the dogs started yipping and yapping. I shouted Be Quiet!…………that produced the expected result…………They carried on carrying on! I looked over the edge and saw a cow licking the camera bag. That got me moving. I went out and it never even looked up. Just carried on exploring my bag with it’s tongue. I gave it a slap and she backed off a couple of feet.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     What’s it got to do with you? A lady with attitude.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     She is a beauty and a poser. I’ll go back in better light as these were shot at 1600 ISO. It’s about the usable limit on my camera. Half that is a realistic setting.

Not a particularly productive morning but the best this week by far.

Have a grand weekend.

22 comments:

  1. Brilliant. This post made me laugh. Photography is frustrating isn't it? Do you use a tripod? I imagine you must if you shoot a subject with a two second exposure. I should really get one but just can't bear to lug too much around when I'm out. I love the highland coo and Solomon's Temple, I think I've been there but a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, yes, tripod, cable release, either live view or mirror lock up. It is a bit a palaver.
    If you are getting a tripod then it is an expensive business. Cheap ones are worse than no tripod. Mine is aluminium and I have two heads. A pan and tilt and a ball head with a friction adjuster on it. Mine doesn't have a removable centre column but were money no object I would go for that option. It enables you to hang your camera upside down at ground level. I'd also buy carbon fibre. Mine weighs a ton after I've carried it for and hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adrian...I didn't get to your post yesterday ,because of a miserable sinus headache,so the day was spent mostly on the sofa snuggled in a blanket!!
    I sure am glad I didn't miss this one with the cow story and photos...I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes...LOL...better than Solomon's tower any day!! ; }
    The shots from inside the tower looking through the arches are wonderful though !!

    Have a good weekend!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spiral staircase photo is like an optical illusion to me, or my remaining grey cell is still spinning from yesterday. When I look at it as presented my brain says it is looking down, in spite of the sky in the photo. When I copied and vertical flipped it then it looks as though you were looking up. Time for me to have a perspective transplant maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cow! I never thought of baiting them with a camera bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grace, glad to see you better. It is all just fun.

    John, now you have pointed it out it is strange. I've noticed this before in priory towers. Must be the way the steps are constructed.

    Jolynne, cows will chew anything. Highland cattle are always gentle beasts....but I suspect nothing in the bag would have benefited from her ministrations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely photo. This cow was so great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the inside of the tower ones - don't know why you're disappointed!

    I think the flower/berry might be Snowberry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photos. In regards to the last two - I hope you had a good zoom. I wouldn't dare get so close :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilda, thank you.

    John, I feel they are just a bit lacking. Thanks for the I.D.

    Olga, I do have long lenses but not for the cow. I was a yard away. These are very gentle cattle. They aren't in the least aggressive. So I'm not brave.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shots from the inside of the tower, Buxton at night is very nice!
    And the cow...what a poser I agree, but what a beauty!
    A great week-end to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no problems with the internal tower photo until I read John's comment and my brain flipped the photo involuntarily. Unintentional auto-suggestion.

    Oddly here on Lewis I haven't seen a Highland Cow for a few years (they must be hiding somewhere) but when I get back to NZ I'll have them in the paddock in front of The Cottage. Funny old world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos of everything you saw. Are the wee beasties, in the last two photos, it needs stamina to travel all the way from the highlands of Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These images are lovely to see...I really liked the one through the window of Buxton at night.
    Bovine experieces can be memorable for all sorts of reasons..
    Have a great weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  15. An eventful day Adrian.
    The cow certainly steals the show though. A real beauty. And what a tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dee Bee, I'll have another go at both tower and cow tomorrow.

    Graham, they are popular for grazing public places as they are sociable.

    Bob, thanks. They have stamina and are weather proof. these live at 1400'.

    Andrew, Ta, I've always found cattle relaxing to be round. One has to watch young beasts they can be a bit daft.

    Keith, she is wonderful. Cows often stick their tongues up their noses........it's because their hooves don't fit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was quite young and I can remember saying to my mum "Mum, guess what I know? I know that cow's noses are just the right shape for their tongues". I hope it wasn't in front of the visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If we are into noses and tongues my Mum could touch her nose with her tongue. Thought you'd like to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. °Âº✿ Olá!
    º° ✿✿♥ ° ·.
    Passei para admirar suas fotografias.
    Todas muito bonitas. Amei a pose da vaca.
    °Âº♫
    °Âº✿ Bom fim de semana!
    º° ✿♥ ♫° ·.
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil ♥♥•˚。
    °° 。♥。
    ♥•˚。˚

    ReplyDelete
  20. Katherine, Cows are always picking their noses.

    Graham, now that is a cunning trick.

    Magia, Obrigado. É uma vaca maravilhosa.
    Você tem um bom fim de semana.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice set with difficult interior lighting.
    I'm not a jealous person and I don't go out looking for specific photos, I just take what I happen to come across but I only possess a distant view of one of these magnificent beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jay, Thanks, lovely animals are Highland cattle.

    ReplyDelete