ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 5 December 2011

IT’S SNOWED (05/12/11)

I have had a relaxing weekend in the Yorkshire Dales. This morning we woke to a white landscape. Winter is here. The snow is a bit wet and slushy but hopefully it will freeze up and provide some wonderful scenes.

We are now in Hawes and stopped for a walk on the moor on the way over from Chapel le Dale. We have all had a good social and slightly boozy sojourn at the Old Hill Inn. Even the dogs, they have friends there and someone tipped a pint of lager over. The dogs dealt with that…….pissed dogs are a nightmare.

Batteries are fully charged and I'll catch up with the world of Blog tomorrow.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  A panorama looking north from just outside Hawes. I hope the high point on the horizon is Stags Fell.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA  Ribblehead Viaduct. The light never got better than this in over an hours wander. It did get worse and I was glad to have had the foresight to wrap up well and take map and compass.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA   The dogs think it is wonderful. Difficult to believe these are the same beasts that were snarling at each other, Cooper, Moose and Peggy over the fire in the pub only twelve hours ago. Where there is little sense there is less feeling.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA     The Gritter clearing my route over the moor to Hawes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA    We only had one hold up where a four by four and a trailer load of sheep had nudged a wall. No harm done though the wall will require some attention. The big blobs are snow. When it snows it really does come down but it is thawing in between the showers.

I thought that apart from the gritter this post could have been shot in black and white so I’m just back from town on an expedition for colour and a bottle of wine.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERANo colour here and it was freezing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA Just as well we found a fire. I couldn’t get at it but it still provided a warm.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA I just got set up on the corner of the Bank when White Van man pulled up. Knock me down with a feather!  Never mind………….at least there is colour. Now I would show you a picture of the wine but in all the excitement I forgot it. I also forgot to clean the lens I see a snow drop has dropped on it.

Have a grand week and try not to slip slidey over. If this lot freezes I’ll have to find my spikey shoes.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely place Hawes - your photos bring back memories ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully no snow here yet, but it does look good in your pictures Adrian.
    The dogs are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It snowed here last night (hail really and it was white allover as I went to bed) rained over night and was all gone this morning. Told to expect more soon.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe someone would just leave a fire burning and not put it out. I hope you put it out, Adrian, before you went on your way. The snow photos are great. Lots of snow here where I live. Thankfully it is not too cold yet. Those Viaducts are wonderful structures, you have so many of them in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's cold in the south but certainly not snowing! Not looking for it either. Great to look at the photos though! I wonder why all dogs love snow so much! Well, enjoy your "white week" then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely snow, and the dogs seemed to like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Adrian ...yes I am still out here in the world...
    Those two dogs of your are so darn cute playing in the snow ...they are just loving it!!
    Well I am glad you got your snow...made for some nice photo...like the first one, and the one with the moon in it..lovely!!
    The last one..great light trail..lol!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. All wonderful, Adrian but that last shot was a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favourite is the photo of the dogs. If anybody loves winter, it`s dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that first panorama photo. Lovely sky and the muted colours in the foreground look almost sepia toned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I thought that 19℃ today was cold. I don't know I'm born. Love the fire. In my experience it's not easy getting fire pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Petrus, it is a grand place but a bit busy for me.

    Keith, I love snow, really brightens up my day if not the images.

    Andrew, I hate it when it does that. It can be a nuisance but it does cheer me up.

    Horst, It was a big bonfire, I haven't the capacity to deal with fires that big even after an hour in the pub. Viaducts are a legacy of the Victorian engineers and the Irish who built and died building them. A wonderful monument to navies. Perhaps they wouldn't look on them with the same affection.

    Bob, the dogs love it. All dogs do.

    Grace, good to see you or hear from you. I did stretch the moon a little. Light trails require more hands than I have. That close you have to avoid cars coming towards you or they just blow the image to bits.

    Hilary, it's the best of eight goes. Not good but the best I got. I've not shot in the dark for ages and it is a suck it and see job.

    Olga, they do seem to enjoy snow. Not when it gets in their paws though.

    George, it is a stitch but little processing ( by my standards). Just a swipe with the saturation sponge at 15% and a contrast boost.

    Graham, you don't know what you are missing. Well you do so choose to miss it. I love it.
    Fire: I always shoot RAW so it gives me a second chance. I also spot meter the fire drop EV 1 stop then in this case pulled some detail back using Enhance>Lighting>Shadows/Highlights in PS Elements. It's very powerful so watch you don't lose too much detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I've never seen this area in snow before, great picture of the dogs. I remember the last time I was here, I was going to do Great Whernside behind Ribblehead viaduct with three friends but when we got to the top of the hill we couldn't even see the viaduct. Even if it is bad weather, it looks like that you had more success than me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a very wet weekend but snow transformed the world. I love the stuff.

    ReplyDelete