ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 9 April 2013

BIG BIRDS. (09/04/13)

Today a friend of mine, the dogs, and I went to Duncombe Park. They have a brand new Bird Of Prey Centre. It’s only been open a couple of weeks but it is a fantastic place. I managed to get in free thanks to the manager but next week I have to come back here so will pay and go again. I have never seen so many birds all in one place…..well I have but they were budgerigars. These are the most birds of prey I  have seen. I used to think it was a bit cruel keeping such wonderful birds in aviaries. The cages here are massive and heated for the birds that need heating. The flying demonstration was short and sweet but great to watch. The first on was a Spectacled Owl. I didn’t get any good pictures as it is well used to flying displays and spends it’s time buzzing the spectators. I mean buzzing I had to duck and could still feel the draught from it.

Duncombeparkpan  Duncombe House. I didn’t go in as it isn’t dog friendly and they had already been in the Jeep for ages whilst I looked at the birds. This is a big panorama and will enlarge with a click.

Back to the birds.

_V0G6153 copy      These are Owls…..I forgot my pencil and paper so have forgotten what sort of Owls they are. They are sleepy Owls. They have this fine black netting in front of the aviaries which is great for pictures shot at large apertures and manually focussed. The stuff does collect feathers so a paint brush as well as pencil and paper will be included in the bag for my next visit.

_V0G6119 copy       I think this is a Buzzard. It is twice the size of our Buzzards and a real beauty. I have forgotten what he called it.

_V0G6107 copy

_V0G6097 copy      It was the star of the show for me. I could have watched it gliding and soaring for hours. It’s very tame and likes a hug and a bit of a stroke.

image        This is a Harris Hawk…..I hope.

_V0G6052_edited-1        A rather blurry image of the Spectacled Owl. They have a couple of immature ones as well.

A dull cold but fantastic day out. I love getting close to these magnificent creatures.

Tomorrow I’m going to Darlington to get more van work done. Then I’m back here to snap a few classic cars. After that it is the long slog north into the wilds of Scotland.

I’ll post when I can. I think there are still about a hundred more from today. I succumbed after five minutes and burst shot the flying ones. Then I went back round the cages and burst shot them as well……Forgot to turn it off and my finger isn’t as quick as it used to be.

Have fun.

 

31 comments:

  1. mooie plek ja je hebt het goed gezien het zijn slaapuilen dat is een nieuw soort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Raptors are so beautiful. Hope to see more photos, Adrian, of these beautiful birds. Love the panorama of Duncombe House. Have a great week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic, Raptors in with upper classes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bird photography at its best: great shots of great birds. Oh dear I've just broken the fourth commandment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I'm not sure about that but they are an improvement to my normal captures.

      Delete
  5. Always great when you see something that really impresses you. Here we have a rehabilitation center and some of the owls are not capable of going back into the wild. It is awesome to stand right beside them and touch them. there is also a peregrin falcon that is used for public education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes it is. These are bred in captivity as far as I know.

      Delete
  6. Amazing shots, all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, those action landing shots came out nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great panorama of the grand house. Awe inspiring photos of the birds, especially the buzzard.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the sleepy owls. They look like I feel when my eyes get tired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, the camera shutter woke them up but not enough for them to open both eyes.

      Delete
  10. An excellent pano shot to start with Adrian.
    The birds are magnificent. Raptor ID's aren't my strong point, so I'll pass on that; but great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I should have taken a pencil with me. They must have at least fifty birds here. Several pairs sitting on eggs. The display birds aren't all that fit yet and it was windy which makes landing downwind difficult for the big birds. I'm hoping to go back next week and I'll try and be better organised.

      Delete
    2. PS, Keith, I did think of using a soft focus filter when I saw these. I did want folk thinking I'd lifted them from the internet.

      Delete
  11. You got the HarrisHawk right, not sure of the owls or the other raptor, but it looks more Hawk then Buzzard, a strange collection of species...guess they got bore of shooting/trapping/poisoning British birds of prey...oooh:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas I'll get IDs sorted next week. I used to dislike zoos but they have not penny pinched here at all. I'll take some pictures of the site. I'm pretty sure the grey bird was described as a Buzzard and it flew like one. I'll check.

      Delete
  12. Great shots of the birds, i like the the one as its about to land on the post, well captured.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a purist.....I've been out with posh birders. Like cannon fire are their shutters. I gave their modus operandi a whirl. A1 Servo let it lock on and then keep my finger pressed. Works a treat. For years I've wondered how they did it.

      Delete
  13. Fantastic shots Adrian,birds of prey are my favorite subject.I do not have a bird sanctuary near me so I have to rely on nature in and around where I live and I have only spotted a kestrel so far this year.Look forward to seeing some more of your photos .
    Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn, There are plenty about in Sheriff Hutton but the Kestrel sits on the power lines or a tree I can't get at. The Sparrow hawk passes at a hundred miles an hour and the Buzzard fly at a thousand feet so I was happy to have them tame.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely pics, my friend Adrian ... especially of the 2 owls ... some new snow coming down here in AB ... April in AB ... what do you expect, eh? Can't wait for the "statistical" 100 frost free days ... I will be digging up my garden like crazy and plant and tend and harvest and store ... like a gopher ... or something ... :) Always, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Cat. sorry I've been so long acknowledging your comment it slipped by. Things are very slow waking up here.

      Delete
  16. Awesome captures landing from flight.
    I've only once tried to do Duncombe but unfortunately it was closed that day. Never had the opportunity to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay the bird bit had only been open for a couple of days. it helps me having the birds do a couple of laps or so. I need several bites at the cherry.

      Delete