ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 8 June 2013

ANTIBES. (08/06/13)

I’ve had one hell of a drive from the Highlands of Scotland to the Mediterranean. It’s proved to be well worth the diesel. I’m sitting in my fake leopard skin mankini soaking up the sun, an ice cold beer in one hand and a good pair of binoculars in the other gazing out over the azure waters of Loch Broom and studying the birds. Dream on you fool, dream on. The ladies are not sunbathing but they are topless or as near as they get to topless round Ullapool. They have only got three layers on and have discarded the duvet jackets and waterproofs.

I have been to Ullapool twice before. Once by road on my way to Kylesku and once by sea. I came in for bunkering on my way to Scalloway. Both previous visits left me totally underwhelmed. This time, though not blown away by the town, I can see it has possibilities. It has the ferry to the Outer Isles and sunshine.

_V0G6832_3_4_tonemapped  Loch Broom from the fish dock.

_V0G6826_7_8_tonemappedThe Town Clock.

_V0G6823_4_5_tonemapped

_V0G6829_30_31_tonemapped    Two views of the promenade.

I’m here tomorrow so will get out early. I’ll catch the town bathed in the early morning fog. Think I’m joking?….wait and see.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

19 comments:

  1. It's great that you got a blue sky and those awesome clouds, which lens are you using for the wide angle? Because these look pretty sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the sharpest wide angle on the block...Not Zeiss, not Schnieder but the Canon 24mm tilt/shift. These are 'orrible cos I used HDR.
    I promise I'll just use the lens on a one shot. It is expensive but as you say as sharp as they come.
    Cost more than the cameras do lenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, hand held. Always a recipe for disaster.

      Delete
    2. I've heard about this lens. Do you have to hold it at a certain angle?

      Delete
    3. Maria, it can be used just like a normal prime non auto-focus lens. If you tripod mount it one can either use the shift bit to stop buildings keystoneing. Or alter the shift orientation to get perfect panoramas. Using the tilt function means that you can get sharpness front to back by tilting downwards or by tilting up you can get focus in only a narrow band of the image. It is easier to focus than I expected but would be ideal tethered.

      Delete
  3. Pretty setting for sure. It could only be improved by you in your mankini. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I cleared the seafront in minutes.

      Delete
  4. Is it really that pretty, the colours so muted? Looks sort of unreal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I'll have to look on another screen. they are overbright on mine. I calibrated my screen so in theory it should be correct. I have my doubts.

      Delete
  5. Adrian, I always say it helps to be a little crazy. So Mediterranean? Why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I'm not sure it helps....I'll end up being taken away.

      Delete
  6. I must admit to not being impressed by Ullapool on my one trip through, mind you I didn't have you're weather so maybe that was the problem. If I was staying in the area personally I'd head a little south east to Poolewe. A little more off the beaten track but a wonderful small village with (if I remember correctly) two pubs within a five minute walk of the camp site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, it is what it is a ferry terminal. I'll have a look at Poolewe.
      I'm crossing the Minch tomorrow for a couple of weeks. then heading north to Scourie. I'll have to head back south in October sometime but will overwinter up here.

      Delete
  7. Wow, impressive & well outside my knowledge area (I'm more familiar with the French Riviera !! ) as I've only done the far north of Scotland by train. You've done the place proud. Fascinating clock and interesting composition choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first visit to Ullapool was when I was about 16. I saw it through rose-tinted spectacles from the caravan site where we had a loch-side pitch for the caravan. I loved it. I've been visiting the place very regularly for nigh on the last 40 years because it's the ferry terminal to my home on Lewis. In the middle of winter on a dark, cold, wet, gale-ridden evening it is the pits. On a day like yesterday it's almost pleasant. I don't wear rose-tints any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is the way out. Could be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been catching up with your latest posts backwards. Get yourself a crofthouse and set up a tourist shop selling postcards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, I don't think I'd sell enough.

      Delete