ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 26 September 2013

STEAMING. (26/09/13)

I’ve moved about twenty miles to the village of Waun Fawr. It lies on the route of The Welsh Highland Railway. This and The Welsh Mountain Railway though not unique in global terms are not replicated anywhere in the UK.

_MG_1706 This is a Garrett 2-6-2 + 2-6-2 articulated two foot gauge locomotive. She was built in Manchester England in the early nineteen fifties so is younger than I am. I think this is a modified one. They diverted smoke box gasses on some of these back into the firebox. Fuel efficiency increased by a quarter. I can’t get on the internet to find out as I’m uploading another awful video. She does seem to have an odd pipe running down he boiler frame so I suspect I’m right. I’ll have to get a jacket with a furry hood then I’d know I am. 

_MG_1700  This is the two foot gauge track she runs on. The line is single track. I know you will have noticed two tracks, this is a passing loop. It’s a very safe system as should the line ahead not be clear this train can’t proceed without a token from the up train. The drivers swap a baton over, a bit like relay racers in the Olympics but in a more relaxed manner. They only issue batons at the controlling end of the line; and not one more than the line has passing places. A fool proof system.

_MG_1709   As far as I know all these locomotives were built for The South African Railways. The last few were built in the mid nineteen sixties. I’ll check tomorrow as my memory is not what it was.

_MG_1710       It was raining really hard. These cabs have a sun roof but this one doesn’t shut. The fireman was shovelling coal for all he was worth with the injectors on to make sure she had enough steam to climb the flanks of mount Snowden before her descent to Beddlegert and her destination at Porthmadog.

_MG_1698   The front tender holds water and the rear one coal. This the water tower she drinks from.

_MG_1697This is the stream that supplies the water….I’m being fanciful. Boiler water has to be totally inert  and free of salts and other minerals these days. This water must be the purest in the country. I suspect they import their own water for the water tower these days.

These are my favourite locomotive. Not pretty but they are really efficient work horses. To see them working hard on the gradients here is a once in a lifetime experience….unless like me you keep popping back for another look.

The line runs from Caernarfon to Porthmadog. I think a return ticket is in the region of thirty ponds or so. Makes InterCity prices look a little on the expensive side.

I’ve waited for three hours for this video to upload to YouTube then they tell me it looks a bit shaky….I’ll give them their due they are polite.

Welsh Highland Railway
    

It is a bit shaky, well up to my normal standard.

Tomorrow there are no trains running so I’ll stop an extra day and go macroing tomorrow. When I post please tell or let me know if they are shaky or a bit dodgy. I need help with this video malarky.

Have fun.

36 comments:

  1. Nice set of pics, great looking engine love it. Thanks for sharing Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed that Adrian. Definitely on my bucket list. In fact as I don't have a bucket list this can be the starting item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I now officially have a bucket list. It's in Wunderflist and entitled Bucket List. I'm full of originality am I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, there isn't a shortage of steam railways in North Wales. I suspect they could keep you occupied for a week.

      Delete
  4. what a gorgeous engine! steam engines here, I think, might be available at a museum. I used to love hearing one approaching near enough for me to hear it. my grandpa would entertain me when I was wee with his vocal rendition of a steam engines' tooting sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, restoring and running steam railways is a growth industry here. There are lots to choose from.

      Delete
  5. I though it was a nicely edited video Adrian, i think that's the first time I've heard your voice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I'll try for another one on Saturday. There was another clip of me chastiseing the dogs but I had to delete that.

      Delete
  6. No sé si puedes imaginar la alegría que me he llevado al ver el video !!!
    A esos trenes de vapor subíamos en los años 60 y me ha gustado mucho volver a recordarlo:)))
    Por aquí desde 1984 no pasa ninguno, la estación de ferrocarril se cerró, y está abandonada:((
    Gracias ADRIAN por compartirlo.
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me puedo imaginar su alegría. Son trenes emocionante y magnífico.
      Me quedo un día más por lo intentará de otro video el sábado.

      Delete
  7. Hi Adrian, your video is a little bit shaky but still a very good free hand video. The only way to get rid of all the shake is to tripod the camera. I have no problems with your video, the ones that are so picky can go jump in a lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horst, I'll try and get organised on Saturday. I'll even try and script a bit of commentary. I'll also put the camera on auto and servo focus. I'll play with it today.

      Delete
  8. It's a great looking train and great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I'm staying an extra day as I missed quite a few bits and pieces. It was raining hard. I'll leave the dogs in the van as they don't help.

      Delete
  9. Adrian, that was really special, photos, story and vid. Thank you for sharing it. What did you shoot it on? A bit shaky but nothing too distracting. My Dad worked for the railways, so I particularly like trains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I don't like doing video. I'll use a tripod next time.
      I used a Canon 5D II. I'll have to try and make sure it stays in focus next time.

      Delete
  10. I'm certainly interested in steam locomotives. This sounds like a very interesting system. I've never seen a 2 ft system. I would think it would be awfully small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, narrow gauge was popular worldwide where the terrain was difficult. It couldn't manage very large loadings but corner radii are much smaller so getting up hills was much cheaper. I think these Garrett locos can manage a 100' radius bend.

      Delete
  11. Interesting post Adrian. You don't sound anything like Fred Dibnah though....thank goodness. In Wales now, are you heading south?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, Fred was from the enemy tribe over the hill from Yorkshire.
      No I'm heading up into the Lake District next week to try for the autumn colours.

      Delete
  12. Excellent video! I haven't had the chance to really appreciate the narrow gauge lines in Wales recently (last time was probably early 90s on family holidays, other than my afternoon driving one on the Welshpool railway) and I certainly never managed to see a Garrett so am definitely jealous.

    If you ever have the misfortune to end up in Manchester (wrong side of the hill and all that) then there is a standard gauge Garrett in the Power Hall at the Museum of Science and Industry -- it's huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, it is well worth a visit. It is only a hop skip and jump from your father-in-law's house.
      The standard gauge locomotive must be a wonderful machine. A pity it isn't running somewhere.

      Delete
  13. QUOTE - "She was built in Manchester England in the early nineteen fifties so is younger than I am."....Who are you kidding Adrian? It is a well-known fact that you were born in the nineteen thirties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, YP that maths is your strong subject: either that or the interpretation of the English language. Or am I missing something? Given that I'm older than Adrian you may, of course, just have hit a nerve.

      Delete
    2. YP. I can remember horse drawn trams. I saw them at Crich. I was born in 1950.

      Delete
  14. QUOTE - "She was built in Manchester England in the early nineteen fifties so is younger than I am."....Who are you kidding Adrian? It is a well-known fact that you were born in the nineteen thirties!

    ReplyDelete
  15. QUOTE - "She was built in Manchester England in the early nineteen fifties so is younger than I am."....Who are you kidding Adrian? It is a well-known fact that you were born in the nineteen thirties!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The golden age. Looks a good place to visit Adrian; I might try and get there sometime.

    I'm always told my videos are shaky by YouTube. The price of hand holding. I let them 'fix' it once, and it seemed worse to me. I prefer a natural looking video.
    I enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Keith, I have been in some settings I found on YouTube and told them not to ask silly questions anymore. I notice you can buy a great big machine to mount the camera on when running about. I seem to recall Midmarsh John building one. I think I'll pass.
      I'll be here till Sunday morning. Then I'll have a night or two in Porthmadog before striking out for Derwentwater.

      Delete
  17. Hi Adrain I loved this post and the video event through it was a bit shakey. Did you put it through the youtube video editor? If not they have a stabiliser on that but I suggest you do not walk with the camera at all. Lovely to hear you voice, not what I expected!! Over all, in my opinion,it was better to see the video with even a little shake than not have the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I'll stand still in future. I'll do more talking in future. The dogs hear my voice and want to join in. I'll try and teach them to be quiet.
      It also keeps dropping focus. I'll have a play today and see if I can improve matters.

      Delete
  18. Wat is dit mooi Adrtan dat moet een hele belevents zijn om daar een rit mee te maken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ik heb een ritje op het had en als je het Verenigd Koninkrijk te bezoeken dan is het een zeer mooie reis.

      Delete
  19. Thanks for visiting here, it reminded me of my brief visit & post of Beddgelert two years ago. I never realised that they had South African built trains but then again it must difficult acquiring powerful ones for the gradients I saw. This railway was a mammoth construction project & it was a shock to see the full return price of £32 two years ago. Still it hasn't gone up that much as they'll have to watch the prices ... particularly for the stereotypical "lets visit a railway" family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay, I think it is very reasonable. I dread to think what it costs to watch a football match. This is much better and children go free.

      Delete