ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Saturday 19 July 2014

SINKING. (19/07/14)

About a month ago I did some time lapse of the sea and beach. It was very annoying so I ordered a ten stop ND filter. Yesterday I tried it, it does work but not in half a gale of wind.

The lass next door has a Canon and hired my macro lens. She returned it whilst I was playing with long exposures. I could have phrased that better but it will give YP and his smutty keyboard something to comment on.

This morning she saw me wandering off with tripod, camera and big bag. I said I was going to take some long exposures on the beach. “Hang on.” She called her ugly half and her dog and off we set. Long exposure photography is a bit hit and miss. I tend to guess, the longer the exposure the less the time matters, on 35s exposures I am not to five seconds or so. It is a pain in that you have to frame up and then pop the filters on. She not only didn’t have a Manfrotto shoe for her camera but her camera didn’t let my bulb timer thing plug in. I thought that odd. Not as odd as either of them not having a watch though. Happen time doesn’t matter. I had a spare camera cap in the bag so swapping lenses wasn’t the problem it could have been. I also lent her the tripod, spare lens caps and a shoe for her camera. She was thrilled to bits with the results she got. It’s great when one gets the opportunity to inspire another person to lunacy.

Here are the results of my labour.

_V0G6404   A normal one to get an idea of exposure. I then stood to the right and took an incident reading. I was just trying to make it look complicated. I was hoping the ugly half would get bored and take the dogs a walk….No such luck. I stuck the polariser and the ten stop ND on and took a series of shots.

_V0G6406

_V0G6410   I could have sworn I straightened the horizon. Obviously not.

_V0G6414

_V0G6418    I like this effect but will have to invest in a couple of stepping rings and a six stop filter. I’ll get on to SRB Griturn. Their filters are cheap and cheerful but they do the job. They look good in Black and White

_V0G6418bw

_V0G6410bw    I could live with a picture like this. The big problem I had was that the waves kept coming round me and the tripod and it sank into the sand. I shot fifteen images and all but these had blurry rocks. A longer lens would help but I don’t have one that will take this filter hence my desire for stepping rings.

I’ll be using this again. I like the effect.

Have fun.

32 comments:

  1. Just the difference in appeal between the first two images is very instructive. Of course, the white balance difference has something to do with this in addition to the smothness and softness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC, all ND filters colour cast. This one is forty pounds and not a hundred and forty. Lee do some near perfect ones.
    I just like the effect. For the use they get cheap is okay. These are far better than Cokin.
    I corrected for WB in Photoshop. Not perfect but I liked what I got.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adriaan you have z, on nice neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blown away by them images Adrian not only your neighbour you inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas son be GP time. Before practise I'm going to go Lewis for the win. Alonso second and the wee Nico third.

      Delete
    2. I meant soon.
      It is a different way of looking at the world. SRB are only just down the road from you. Good stuff they sell.

      Delete
  5. Bas, she is drop dead gorgeous. I wish I was thirty years younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh! So much for your prediction. Poor Lewis, such bad luck - brake failure - starts 16th - if his knees are ok that is. I have been willing him to win since the start of the F1 season.I'm a real F1 fan don't you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, not seen it yet as I-Player is broken. He can win from sixteenth. Of course he can.

      Delete
  7. That sea looks soooo tempting. When I've had the promised pie and pint, may I please swim in it, Adrian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I doubt you'd fit in a pint. I could pour it on you. The mind boggles. I'll shut up this is a family blog.

      Delete
  8. I like these a lot Adrian, especially the first of your long exposures, and the one before the B&W.

    Couldn't you have thrown a stick for the ugly half and dog to chase, while you got on with showing the neighbour how to do exposures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, the job has possibilities. The ugly bit doesn't chase sticks. He just hangs around going. "What? Haven't you taken enough yet." ing.

      Delete
  9. HI Adrian I love all the shots and yes I did notice the horizon was off but then so did you!! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye Margaret back to the back of the class. It is usually the first job I do. Not this time though.

      Delete
  10. I have to ask. Do you have an idea in your head what you want in a photo? As well as water you have some very interesting rock formations. Now the rock formations stand still so they're easier to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, I have no idea what I will do tomorrow. I did know yesterday what I would do today. I think tomorrow may involve mirrors but I can't promise.

      Delete
    2. And it didn't involve mirrors!!!

      Delete
  11. I assume that you've tried your very best to enroll the lass for the complete learning experience Adrian?

    Despite the distraction you've managed to capture an excellent set of images, I especially like the first of the long exposures. Not too sure about the b/w tho'.

    Looking forward to the next set, perhaps wellies and an anchor might be a good bet?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I am doing my best. I have trouble being charming whilst full of lust.

      It is good fun doing these. I'll get a couple of stepping rings from that place near you on Monday then I can get further from the water.

      Delete
  12. Photography is quite the adventure with you, Adrian. You never fail to come up with something interesting and beautiful. And I don't mean the neighbour. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilary, I should get out more.
      I like these, I'll be doing some more.

      Delete
  13. The long exposures do give a different atmospheric feel to the pictures. It would be interesting to see how it works with bigger breaking waves but that usually means stronger winds and the very devil keeping the camera still.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, I am getting a couple of stepping rings for this filter so I can use it on longer lenses.These were the best od several has the sea kept washing sand from underneath the tripod.
    When I want a big storm it is flat calm.. It is windy but the winds are offshore. I can keep the tripod still has I use a big corkscrew thing that I got for tethering the dogs. It seems to work fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So interesting! I love slow shutter speed effects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, I do, it's a pity we have small breakers here at the moment.

      Delete
  16. I agree my keyboard was smutty so I bought some "Wet Wipes" and cleaned it. It's sparkling like new now - though a bit of the "E" has worn away. As usual I loved your pictures and I bow like a bellboy to your technical wizardry oh Lord and Master of The All-Seeing Lens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I hope the "E" isn't now an "F". I could make for some interesting words.
      Thank you that is kind but the system does need a little Refining.

      Delete
  17. Hi Adrian, really a beautiful work! My compliments and congratulations to you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Laura. it will get better. I need bigger waves and for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the black and white towards the end there. It's actually good that you able to work with calm situations and the sinking tripod. Anything rougher may have been a challenge. Pretty magical photos there. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I will be able to use a longer lens when the stepping rings come so the static bits should be pin sharp and my feet should be dry.

      Delete