ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 18 June 2015

BIG SKY. (18/06/15)

It’s funny weather here. It’s not cold and only rains infrequently but it does keep going awfully dark.

_MG_3802

This was taken yesterday evening after I’d spent ages trying to light pondlife properly. It was not a success despite hours of experimentation.

pondsktrpan  

This Pond Skater is lit from below, one side and obliquely from above. It is slightly better than previous attempts but far from the effect I’m trying to achieve. I then spent a similar amount of time sorting out a vertical white line that suddenly appeared on my monitor and kept tracking from side to side in a very annoying fashion. I suspected the graphics card but as far as I could tell it was fine. I then had a look at the monitor settings and eventually found that something labelled DPS was switched off. I haven’t a clue what DPS does or is but switching it on gets rid of an irritating white line.

I did find two new insects this morning and what I think were picture wing flies but they refused to pose.

_V0G9006

Sheet Web Spider. I think this one is Neriene peltata.

_V0G9009

Green Capsid….There are several of these to choose from and they are all pretty similar. This was sitting on a willow leaf so I am going to go for Lygocoris rugicollis.

That’s all for today as I have to sort the bins out ready for the weekend campers.

32 comments:

  1. I like that sky shot with the bit of land and the V-shape therein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it just caught my eye yesterday.

      Delete
  2. Nice sky photo! It looks ready to dump a bunch of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, it does rain now and then but it's just light showers.

      Delete
  3. Insects, bins, campers....what a busy lad you are. That sky is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, it's all go. It was a good sky to eat supper to.

      Delete
  4. Great shots apart from the Pond Skater but I'm sure you'll get the lighting right before too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian, it needs a polariser but then I can't see to focus.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Bill, so did I. It was a bit different.

      Delete
  6. Adriaan what a beautiful skies, but I guess you had to run to keep dry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonito cielo Adrian. No siempre te obedecen, hoy no querìa posar ;))
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Laura, los insectos pueden ser muy desobediente.

      Delete
  8. The skyscape/landscape is my favourite though the Sheet Web Spider was a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, it is funny weather this week. I am hoping for some baby spiders before too long.

      Delete
  9. I very like dramatic clouds like this one. Beautiful deep colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, if they have the light from the front they can be very dramatic.

      Delete
  10. Excelentes fotografias....
    Cumprimentos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sunshine in Cheshire but chilly evenings...

    ReplyDelete
  12. One gets tired af cloudy dark days for a week or so. Now sometime you could explain how you put light on things from under the water. I imagine there's a simple device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes a plastic box big enough to hold the flash and then I pop a clear tank on top of it.

      Delete
  13. Cracking first shot Adrian.

    Now!...what's going on? Only last week you were 'in charge'...collecting money and running the estate...and this week?... you've hit the low spot.. sorting the bins and messing about with pond life? How the mighty have fallen!

    I'm probably missing the point on the lighting setup, but why the light from underneath? Looks like a tricky one but keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there in the end!

    Good luck with the baby spiders, While I was out 'bugging' yesterday I saw lots of spiders protecting their egg sacks...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, it's a very complicated bin system here. Not only do the bin men come on different days they also come for different coloured bins. They don't drive up to the farm and pick the one they want so I have to take the right bin to the end of the track. I have to guess or choose either blue, grey or green. It's not easy.
      I originally lit from underneath as it seemed to stop reflections from the water surface. I may give up the pondlife as it is a bit monotone.
      The spiders will be a week or so behind yours due to it being freezing here.

      Delete
  14. Another terrific spider shot.
    Lighting from underneath is a problem. Looks as though it may have been too bright, possibly reflecting back from the front lens element or filter if fitted? Maybe try something I read about a professional micro photographer - uses expensive adjustable flash guns but found the best diffuser was home made using toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. John. it is through a diffuser then a couple of Tupperware boxes. Pocket Wizards allow me to dial in flash duration but it's a bit hit and miss as I forget which stobe I've dedicated which letter to. A sticky label would solve the problem. I have used cigarette papers and they work fine. I'll have another go when I've a bit of time after the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. Margaret, it kept me happy as I ate my tea.

      Delete
  17. Not long ago I bought a painting. I saw it and instantly fell for it. Your first picture had the same affect on me. It may not be the technically best you have ever taken but I cannot recall one which has had such an instant appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I enjoy it when the light keeps changing and the sun is low and behind me, I don't take many dawn and dusk shots as they rarely appeal.

      Delete