ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Monday 8 June 2015

HOW DOES HE MANAGE THIS? (08/06/15)

_V0G8777

_V0G8778   Soldier Beetles copulating. It looks a very precarious business to me and what’s more they are balanced on a leaf in the breeze. The first panorama is manually stitched both for the panorama and focus. It’s far from perfect but the little blighters would not stop still.

_V0G8780   This Seven Spot Ladybird was on the leaf next door. Little chance of it indulging in such acrobatics.

_V0G8773

It looks as if this Frog Hopper Nymph is eating aphids but I think they only eat leaves and sap. Here it is without all it’s bubbles.

_V0G8787

_V0G8786

In another week or so the adults will emerge and then I’ll have my work cut out as they can hop a couple of feet and accelerate  in a fraction of a second to 7mph. Amazing little things.

That’s all for today as I have the grass to cut.

28 comments:

  1. Super photos Adrian, great detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning macro work. I see you caught that first couplein the 'act'. Is nothing private nowadays!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it's about the only time they don't fly away and some of them can manage that.

      Delete
  3. Amazing collection of insects today Adrian. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I was busy today but then the belt came off the mower so I decided to post whilst I gathered the will power to mend it.

      Delete
  4. Unbelievable detailed macros. Brilliant shots Adrian!
    Miklos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, I am enjoying seeing the tiny world.

      Delete
  5. Boy you get some amazing macro shots of those bugs! My favorite is the ladybug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, they are bright and cheerful but if you get a swarm of them they will bite.

      Delete
  6. One false move or strong wind and the Soldier beetle could be in some serious pain :-) it proves one thing the male of all species think with their......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, it made my eyes water just watching him.

      Delete
  7. After copulation, one beetle could ask thee other: "Did the leaf move for you too?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it is flat calm here this evening, the first time in weeks. It's a good job he was doing the business this morning in half a gale.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Graham anything is better than mowing grass.

      Delete
  9. The Beatles copulating? I bet the ugly one on the right was Ringo Starr. His victim was most likely George Harrison. While he was doing the dirty deed, Ringo was probably singing, "I'll be your long haired lover boy from Liverpool!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, it's BEETLES. I'm at a loss as to what else to say.

      Delete
  10. Thats some racking macro shot Adrian.


    peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I managed two shots but not enough for a good stack.

      Delete
  11. Hey, you should scare lots of bugs out of the gras with the mower! You show that if you stick with it you will get many amazing shots like the copulating beetles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, it is a ride on mower and not the easiest to drive. I only got about a third of the grass cut as the belt came off the hydrostatic converter and after ages wrestling with that little problem I ran out of petrol.
      Things are warming up now and there are many more insects about. Tomorrow, Wednesday looks as if it will be scorchio.

      Delete
  12. Adrian, you have a new blog look! those pics are impressive and intresting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, it is brighter but I'm not sure it's better.

      Delete
  13. Beetle sex doesn't look a lot of fun. I think I'd pass on that if I were a beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frances at least the female Soldier Beetle can sit and think of England. Male Dragon flies seem to half drown their mates.

    ReplyDelete