ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Sunday 7 June 2015

STILL A COOL WIND. (07/06/15)

I was up and out with the Lark this morning, not that there are any Larks here. There was a beauty of a Buzzard not fifty yards away but I only had a macro lens with me. It was such a good bird it all but followed us on our walk. I was looking for Wolf Spiders but they were not where I’d seen them before. I’ll find them again. After breakfast we were out again as I’d seen this grizzly screen._MG_3703_4_5_tonemapped  It’s for fetching rocks out of topsoil.

On the way back I decided to check the mower for fuel as the grass needs cutting. I came out of the mower shed and this monster was dashing across the compost bin lid. I scooped it up and carefully carried it back to the van where I popped it in a pot whilst I got the stage set up for it’s debut photo session.

_V0G8759

_V0G8762

_V0G8761

I think it is a male House Spider. Tegenaria gigantea. It is a beauty whatever it is.

_V0G8748

This one is from last night and is a female Soldier Beetle. Cantharis fusca. They aren’t very big and though they can be bribed with honey they soon get full and fly away.

_V0G8766

_V0G8767

I can’t believe that there are still St Mark’s flies around. I think this is what it is. It’s glued itself to honeydew so was easy to snap. I haven’t seen a female for weeks so these could be something else.

_V0G8771

Clay Coloured Weevil. Otiorhynchus singularis. This is a new one for me.

_V0G8769

Lots of these about today. Green Leaf Weevil. Polydrusus sericeus.

Enjoy your week.

25 comments:

  1. Forgot to comment yesterday that your new blog header is striking. With the weather warming up, I expect the insect are becoming my prevalent and active. Have a great week Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. If this wind would die down it would be perfect.

      Delete
  2. I fully understand your feeling when you see a nice thing but you don't have the proper lens in your bag. Also hope you will find Wolf Spider on that place. Maybe it has hidden in that cool wind :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, I ought to carry them all but then by the time I've changed them over then the opportunity is gone.
      The Wolf spiders are best found at night as their eyes shine green. They are very quick though.

      Delete
  3. The first guy is a mean looking creature. He's fierce. Again , some of these we'd never see and the ones we do see we would have no idea what they really looked like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, they are harmless. They just look fierce. It is amazing what you can see close up.

      Delete
  4. The top soil rock removal riddler is a monument to Scottish engineering. A magnificent structure and aesthetically most pleasing to the eye.How ingenious those Scottish chappies are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP this one is home made. Quarries use big versions to stop large rocks jamming the crushers up.

      Delete
  5. Jeez that second image of the spider my hairs stand up on end. It looks a fantastic beast up close and personal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they look brilliant. This one was reasonably good but they do climb on the lens. I think they see their reflection. Six times as that is how many eyes they have.

      Delete
    2. PS, sorry eight times. I don't know how they sort all the information out.

      Delete
  6. I have no idea how that rock thingy works, but I presume it's effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, it's a primitive screen. You tip a bucket of soil on the bars the soil falls through and the rocks roll off.

      Delete
  7. Your macro photos are amazing! (but the spider still gives me the creeps.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I know many people dislike spiders but I can't understand why. They do scuttle about a bit.

      Delete
  8. I don't care how harmless those spiders are, I still can't look at one without shuddering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I expect you were taught not to touch them in Australia as you have some bad tempered ones there.

      Delete
  9. HI Adrian You haverally got into these insects and my favourite today is the lastone. I love the colour of it. yes i thought you would like Doegal. Posting all week on that if you wish to see more. Ruggged scenery adn peacefu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it's a similar one to the the weevil on my header. It is difficult to find them green as the iridescent scales wear off leaving them a brown/black colour.

      Delete
  10. ever think, "hm, Adrian, maybe you were a bug in a previous life,"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R.Mac, it's possible if we are what we eat and we are what we take then I probably was.

      Delete
  11. Adrian cada día tus bichos son más grandes :)))
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, estas ar tan grande como puedo conseguirlos. Tengo que aprender a usar el gran aumento.

      Delete