ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Thursday 11 June 2015

SUN, SUN, SUN. (11/06/15)

_MG_3758_59_60_tonemapped  

It looks as if it will be another day of wall to wall sunshine. This was my first glimpse of the sun at five o’clock this morning. There are lots of insects about but they are a bit lively for me. I’m failing miserably. I did manage to focus stack a dead bumble bee but it was a bit cobwebby. I tried to tidy it up but was making things worse so decided to just get on and take it’s picture.  

2015-06-11-08.00.57 ZS DMap

2015-06-11-08.05.17 ZS PMax

2015-06-11-08.11.53 ZS PMax   

I think a tiny watercolour brush would probably be best for cleaning up dead insects I’ll have to remember to get one. These images are all stacked in Zerene and taken using EOS Utility. The stacks were approximately twenty five images for each at f9 using the MP-E 65mm lens on a Manfrotto macro slide. It is a rather ungainly pose but it was the only way it would balance.

That’s all for today.

29 comments:

  1. I've given up on several insect macros because of all the minute specks of dust. It is quite a problem.
    Zerene, EOS utility and operator made a good job of it.
    That pose might have made a good video on a turntable though depth of focus would have been difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I have just had another go at cleaning it using a lens blower and a small needle. I'll run another stack at 2x. Just to see.

      Delete
  2. Nice to read it that weather is better there. Weather forecast is +36C for this coming weekend in Hungary.
    Great macros about this lovely but already dead bee.
    Greetings, Miklos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kovacs, that is too hot. 25C here and even this is a bit warm.

      Delete
  3. A stack of 25 shows true dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. R.Mac, still is. Though she's an ex-bee.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful sunrise shot, and great capture of that sunburst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you. I was just awake at the right time.

      Delete
  6. Estaras contento con ese brillante sol...Espero que no se salgan nunca de la pantalla ;)
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, es un cambio muy agradable para estar caliente.

      Delete
  7. Lovely view of the sunrise Adrian. We haven't seen the sun this week ~ the place is getting soggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I think I am getting your weather.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Bob, I found it on the path. It is a pretty dead bee.

      Delete
  9. Oh yes! this is the dead one. You had all kinds of challenges on this one. I like what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red, yes there is a major project in the pipeline. I shan't use this bee though as it's a bit too awkward to model.

      Delete
  10. Stunning images, I reckon the bee looks better not too tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas, I still find this system is a bit hit and miss. The slightest movement and it all goes pear shaped. I take twenty plus images when ten or so would do at 1:1 as I can discard rogue frames.

      Delete
  11. Rather than a watercolour brush, perhaps you could use a tiny car vacuum cleaner to spruce up your bees. Amazing images sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I read an article on cleaning insects for still life and the chap uses an ultrasonic cleaner and then some chemical to relax them so he can adjust their wings and limbs. I prefer taking pictures of living ones. I did try a sewing needle and my camera lens puffer thing.

      Delete
  12. One of these days I'm going to have to try focus stacking. Trouble is, I'm just so impatient to take the time with all the technical stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I think Zerene is by far the best, it's free for thirty days and works across most OSs. Combine Z was one of the first and is free but no longer supported, it was also a pain to use and a fine generator of really naughty words.

      Delete
  13. HI Adrian Stunning imagesof the Bee. If you were trying to count my sunset shots, you were not relaxed enough!!! They were suposed to just wash over you. Sorry it didn't workfor you. Have a lovely weekend. Happy insect hunting.

    ReplyDelete