ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Tuesday 30 June 2015

THE FLAMENCO DANCER. (30/06/15)

It is supposed to be scorchio today. It is 20oC but cloudy and very humid, not really very pleasant. There aren’t many snails around but this morning I found a young one. Here is Son of Brian or Brianson if you like.

_V0G9664

_V0G9681

_V0G9673               

I thought this was a White-lipped Snail but now think it is a young Garden Snail. It’s shell is only 6mm across.

It was well passed time for breakfast but I’d run out of milk so it was very healthy porridge this morning. Zero fat porridge. It’s not very nice. I usually make it by measure, two of water, one of milk and one of oats. I then chop an apple into it but have used all my apples, I popped some sultanas in as is my want. I used to just take the stalk off the apple and rough chop the rest but I heard that apple pips have arsenic in and I don’t want to turn as mad as a hatter. I core them first now.

On our second walk I noticed these tiny things.

_V0G9699

_V0G9702

I think these are Saw Fly LARVÆ. They are where I saw Saw Flies a few weeks ago and they look similar to images on Google. They just look black to the naked eye but are quite attractive close up. I brought one back to the van as they aren’t very good at balancing on leaves and kept falling off.

Now I went to the Weeping Willow tree and it usually has something interesting on it. Today I noticed what looked like a bit of bird muck but it suddenly moved and bird shit doesn’t usually move. That grabbed my attention.

_V0G9682 

See it has a roses behind it’s ears just like a Flamenco Dancer.

_V0G9685

It can dance

_V0G9686

It is amazing. I should have popped a scale on it I’ll do that now.

_V0G9698

It is a stunning little larva I have spent an hour searching for anything similar but as usual I’m probably looking in the wrong place. I would have thought it different enough to have it’s picture everywhere.

That’s all for today.

PS. This post has been edited by Mr Rogue. I think it may be Mr Plague. He asked me to put the arse in lava. So I did. He’s a good editor. I also used the plural of larva but it is Greek so has to be written in big letters. I think its called a ligature or graphine but who cares. We have their marbles and they by default will give the Germans a nasty shock. Sound good do the Greeks.

34 comments:

  1. I hope Brianson didn't get mixed up with those raisins you put in your porridge Adrian?

    Two interesting bugs there...nope!...I've searched but can't come up with any ID's! Flamenco Bug suits the last one so we'll just have to stick with that I think. Great shots though, it's obviously not camera shy!...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, I thought there was an unexpected crunchy bit.

      No it is a little beautiful whatever.

      Delete
  2. Bas, I wish I knew what the last one is. I have got it another leaf and it may turn into something recognisable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still reckon snails look great on a mirror with a reflection. However the images of the bizarre flamenco dancer are stunning. I think I will look twice at bird pooh in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Douglas it's always worth looking at foliage. Some lava look like leaves and others like twigs. Not seen anything like this before.

      Delete
  4. Awesome snail photos.Great caption Flamenco Dancer for the larva photo. Just a tip, but I found a small slug here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that little snail and your dancing caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I think snails and frogs look good on first surface mirrors.

      Delete
  6. That Flamenco Dancer is impressive but I like the snail dancing with itself better. I like it's doing a slow waltz, nothing showy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline I was impressed with the dancer. I love finding wonderful creatures.

      Delete
  7. HI Adrian The first 3 shots are absolutely STUNNING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it's a snail on a first surface mirror. I like mirrors for putting things on.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Bob, it's Brianson but it is a little beauty.

      Delete
  9. The Flamenco Dancer is stunning. Reminds me of Dorothy Lamour in the movies or a painting by Degas.

    I will keep saying it until you take notice. It's larva, not lava. L-A-R-V-A. Lava comes out of a volcano. I know you Brits and Scots pronounce them the same way. We don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I nearly always miss the 'R' out. I could call them catepillas but that tires my fingers.
      We call the rest room the larvatory or the bog. There I got it right this time.
      How do you pronounce lava and larva? Hey; it's not too hard to pop an 'R' in. I'll remember now.
      These are first inst...something Puss Moth Larva, after several inst...somethings they turn into a wonderful caterpillar with a clowns face. Circus clown's face not a G. W. Bush Clown's face. I try to keep up with things in the old colonies. Is it true that Ned or Red or whatever is standing for he who must be obeyed and not using his surname? Good idea tell him. Our Royal family don't either but they are also a bit thick. They called themselves after the name of the house they lived in.
      All the best to you and yours,
      Adrian 21-Totley-Rise-Sheffield.

      Delete
  10. Geniales Adrian...La oruga te hizo un buen baile :)))
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, es una oruga español lo es, naturalmente, un buen bailarín.

      Delete
  11. The final larva is quite a find. Last shots makes me think of a flamenco dancer holding castanets above her head.
    All the leaves I look under seem to belong to Mother Hubbard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I am finding most bugs on willow and surprisingly lady's mantle. The hoverflies seem to have disappeared as do most of the bugs.

      Delete
  12. Your first three shots are stunning Adrian! Very creative pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kovacs. They are easy to do on a first surface mirror but take a lot of cleaning up.

      Delete
  13. If the larva is unknown and unnamed, may I suggest that you christen it the "rhymus plagueus" as there is an uncanny resemblance to the aforesaid former IBM boffin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YP, I know what it is now thanks to JOHN. It's a first instar Puss Moth larva.

      Delete
  14. I never told you that Greek plurals had to be in capital letters. Where did you ever get an idea like that? How ridiculous.

    If you must know, the rule is that foreign words should be in italics (such as in quid pro quo and . If a word that started out as a foreign word has been absorbed into one's own language, italics are not necessary.

    Of course, all words are foreign to somebody, so deal with the problem as best you can..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't join up an 'A' and an 'E' except in upper case. I'll look into the matter.
      Gracias

      Delete
  15. Not many snails? You're lucky. We are over-run by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, I wonder how they got across the Minch? CalMac. It must be their fault.

      Delete
  16. Gotta love the reflections in the first two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I enjoy the results when I shoot on a mirror.

      Delete