ABOUT ME

I live in a camper van with a West Highland Terrier for company.
My passion is creating images but it is a work in progress.
I am always willing to share what knowledge I have and can be contacted through the comments on this post or e-mail ADRIAN
ALL IMAGES WILL ENLARGE WITH A LEFT CLICK

Wednesday 6 January 2016

BIRDS. (06/01/16)

I have almost sorted the Starlings. The video is self explanatory as I did a voice over or commentary.
I cheated a bit and made one set of birds as particles then triplicated them, I will do them again but with three individual sets which should provide a good pattern or so.
I am determined to get to grips with Blender this winter so that I can make a few minutes of video with a landscape; a stream, hopefully with a waterfall if the computer can stand the pain of multiple particle systems and fluids. It would be good to have the sky with a cloud or two slowly turning from day to dusk. I would like the birds to stop swirling and just drop into my reeds as proper ones do when the light fades. It will take days at the speed I go.
Here is a bit of low resolution video, the birds are getting there.
Boids is not a spelling mistake it is an algorithm designed in 1986 to mimic herding, flocking and shoaling in nature. It is pretty good I think. I also think it makes my head ache, the person that wrote the software must have worn a helmet to keep their brains in.

24 comments:

  1. I saw a murmuration of starlings on tv last night and I think yours is looking good in comparison. The minds that come up with this software are made of different colour matter than the rest of us have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, it's all mathematics but mathematics that are beyond my ken.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Keith when I eventually got it this far I was impressed. three o'clock this morning after a full day yesterday I cracked it but I'm not sure how. I'll keep on playing as video editing was hard once upon a time.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work Adrian..bit by bit you're getting there.
    I just hope that you don't run out of headache remedies?...[;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trevor, it is making the winter fly by. It beats sitting in the pub.

      Delete
  4. Very realistic. It all far too complicated for my remaining grey cell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I am forever getting hopelessly lost but If I leave it an hour then I can usually sort it out. I have been looking at YouTube tutorials by SardiPax they are excellent but he does go very fast. It does help with the direction to head in.

      Delete
  5. I'm actually blown away by that clip Adrian the flock movement is spot on in my opinion and realistic, very realistic. The tail looks much natural too. Great stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Douglas there is room for improvement. If I scale them up and colour them white they would also make seagulls. The movement is very controllable. I'm not very good at controlling it but will keep going as the rain continues to fall.

      Delete
  6. It's all very ingenious, Adrian, but it's making my head ache, too. The starlings are very lifelike. Flocks of starlings always put me in mind of tea leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, I only offer information on the technicalities in the hope of finding a kindred loony to share ideas and problems with.

      Delete
  7. Impressed with the result but the process of animation is "not my thing"... Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, it is a challenge for me, I am starting to enjoy it but only in the last couple of weeks.

      Delete
  8. Perhaps it's because of the 'low resolution' that you speak of, Adrian, but for some reason I can't seem to view your video at anything but thumbnail resolution - unlike your previous videos which I could view at full screen. What little I could see looks impressive, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just managed to get it full-frame - WOW!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Richard, it is always worth checking the little gear wheekl at the bottom of YouTube videos to make sure it is playing at 420. If your signal drops a bit then it will reduce the quality but not put it back up again. This is about 540 but only 50 samples so you see it isn't that sharp.

      Delete
  9. Delightful--- plus we get to hear your voice--- Which is pretty much as I thought it would be. As a broadcaster for more than 50 years, I can say the BBC should have hired you years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, that is my posh voice or as posh as it gets.

      Delete
  10. I reckon you need a helmet of your own! And perhaps a bit of fine weather to give those brains a rest. I'm more in awe than ever. Watching your flock was very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I posted just after I had got them to work. They are still clumping a bit too much. I must admit to watching it several times, as like the real thing, I find it fascinating.

      Delete
  11. Very impressive. Good way to help the winter go by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, it will be even more impressive if i get it working perfectly though perfect and random are strange bed fellows.

      Delete